The GLEON Data Access Policy is designed to guide the use of GLEON data. GLEON members endorse the principle that data from the GLEON database should be openly available for academic, research, education, and other not-for-profit professional purposes to the maximum extent possible. We believe this sharing of data will foster collaborative scientific research and educational activities internationally. Each data set published on the web page should be accompanied by documentation (metadata), but please contact the responsible person for each GLEON site for further information. We encourage the use of our data sets but ask that users read and agree to our Data Use Agreement below, and adhere to the principle of acknowledging the use of data and its attribution (GLEON OPP, Paragraph 4, and Annex V)
Permission to download GLEON data sets is granted to the Data User subject to the following guidelines:
- The Data User realizes that these data sets are being actively used by others for ongoing research and that communication and coordination is necessary to prevent duplicate publication. The Data User also realizes that the data may be misinterpreted if taken out of context. Data are being collected by scientists in academic and other research organizations with the requirement to publish scientific papers. The Data User therefore agrees to contact the responsible person for each GLEON site to check on other uses of the data, receive information on data, and discuss collaboration and/or co-authorship.
- Acknowledgement: Consistent with the GLEON principle of acknowledgement and attribution (GLEON OPP Paragraph 4), use of the data in publications should include co-authorship and/or acknowledge the GLEON project as well as the responsible person and institution including institutional support or specific funding awards referenced in the metadata or given by the person responsible for the GLEON site. A generic citation for our databases is: <name of data set>, Global Lake Ecological Observatory Network (http://gleon.org), GLEON, <contact person for data set and Institution >..
- Acceptable use: Use of the dataset will be restricted to academic, research, educational, government, recreational, or other not-for-profit professional purposes. Any other uses for the Data Set or its derived products will require explicit permission from the dataset owner.
- The Data User agrees to notify the responsible person for the GLEON site when any derivative work or publication based on or derived from the Data Set is distributed. The Data User is requested and encouraged to send two reprints (or a pdf) of any publications resulting from use of the data to the responsible person for the GLEON site and to the GLEON Program Coordinator (Grace Hong, GLEON Program Coordinator, Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 680 North Park St., Madison, WI 53706, email@example.com). We would like to include such manuscripts in our GLEON publications list.
- The Data User agrees not to redistribute original data and documentation without permission from the responsible person for each GLEON site or in a manner in agreement with the site policy.
By using these data, the Data User agrees to follow the guidelines of this agreement. While substantial efforts are made to ensure the accuracy of data and documentation, complete accuracy of data sets cannot be guaranteed. All data are made available "as is". GLEON shall not be liable for damages resulting from any use or misinterpretation of data sets. The Data User may be held responsible for any misuse that is caused or encouraged by the Data User's failure to abide by the terms of this agreement. Data users should be aware that we periodically update data sets.
Thank you for your cooperation.
download as pdf